Japan Misadventures

Sorry, this is not a new chapter. If you want to know why there’s no new chapter, read on. Warning, there may be some semi-gross details of sickness and butt stuff (no, not the sexual kind).

I should have known things were going to be bad when I threw up over myself on the plane as it descended into Japan. I remember thinking, surely, this has to be the worst part of the trip. It’s only up from here. How wrong I was.

There are a number of factors that led to me throwing up on that flight. First, I was dehydrated. Like an idiot, I didn’t want to get up too much to use the bathroom, so I didn’t drink enough fluids or drank coke, which dehydrated me further. Second, I ate this lukewarm curry on the flight that I should never have touched. Due to various food allergies, I ended up with a different, “allergen-free” meal. The trouble is, I have no idea from whence this meal came (I think it was leftover stuff they had lying around) or how old it was. I only know that I threw up minutes to hours after eating it. Finally, I apparently get motion sick from long airplane trips, my inner ear gets messed up or something. If I stand up too fast I get vertigo. Sitting here, typing this, if I close my eyes and focus just the wrong way the whole world starts spinning slightly.

I managed to avoid throwing up over anyone else and made it to the bathroom in time (shoving my way past a startled flight attendant, who kindly asked me if I was okay moments after seeing puke come out of my mouth.) I cleaned up as best I could, threw away one of my favorite sweatshirts, and ended up covering myself with a blanket. I eventually made it to an airport bathroom, washed as much as I could, changed into clean clothes, and brushed my teeth. That’s the end of that, I thought as I went through customs.

But it wasn’t. Why? Because the dehydration effects didn’t immediately go away. For a while I was light-headed, fatigued, something was wrong. And it basically ate a day of the trip. A day filled with diarrhea, caused by either the curry or dehydration or some combination of the two.

And it got worse on the second day when I decided to visit Osaka Castle. How did it get worse? On the 2nd floor of Osaka Castle, in the only public bathroom, I was taking a whizz. And I had a minor urge to fart. To let one rip. So I did, except it was a wet fart and more than just gas came out. So I shambled into a bathroom stall as I tried to figure out what I was going to do.

I was in Osaka Castle, one of the busiest tourist destinations with Japanese schoolchildren and tour groups swarming outside. And I had just shit myself. And I had no change in underpants. And it could happen again.

I made it out alive, somehow, to the nearest convenience store where I purchased a new set of underwear, which I put on in the bathroom. And that’s all I’ll say about that incident.

I would like to at this moment thank Japan in general for being home to the one place in the world where a number of public bathrooms have bidets, and just for their cleanliness overall. I did my best to be as sanitary as I could during this whole ordeal, and the bidets definitely helped. Still sucked being sick, but glad I was in Japan when it happened.

The motion-sickness-food-poisoning-dehydration-illness cleared up by the next day. I was finally able to get back on track and use my Universal Studios ticket that I’d pre-ordered (no refund allowed). I had a great time there, and lines weren’t a problem with single rider lines, though I avoided the most intense roller coaster after a minor bout of vertigo. The Halloween festivities were awesome too, though I did feel a bit mean-spirited laughing at Japanese schoolgirls running away from zombies. Just kidding, it was hilarious. I capped the night off by trying Wagyu A5 Kobe beef, which was excellent.

Two days later I caught a bad cold. Which was, again, at least partially my fault. But I’d take the exact same path, with the exact same sickness, every time.

By this point in the trip, I had already lost time, so I was pushing my body, even if it was still recovering. So, on a rainy day in Kyoto, visiting Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine, I decided to not go with the flow of tourists through the sea of red gates, but hike up Mt. Inari instead.

Now, this was a rainy day, and I didn’t bring hiking shoes. This meant my feet got wet, and there were mud and puddles on the path. I didn’t care. I was healthy again. I felt warm. If things got rough, I’d just turn back. And, hiking through the bamboo forest felt special. There was no one else brave enough (or dumb enough) to walk on this trail, so for the first time in Japan, I felt like I was alone. It was serene, peaceful, idyllic.

And then I turned the corner. There was a small private graveyard and it was breathtaking, hauntingly beautiful. It was as if the scene had jumped out of one of my favorite video games, Dark Souls. This place, or a similar Shinto cemetery, has to have influenced the art design.

A quiet, secluded area on a rainy day. A note of clear silence in a wash of white noise. I don’t know how to put the feeling into words, what I write doesn’t seem to be enough.

Perhaps simple words are best.

I was hiking on an unknown trail, and out of a mountain of green bamboo emerged this quiet grey resting spot.

I did take a few photos with my phone, but they really don’t do this place any service, so I’ll only say you’ll need to go up this side trail on a rainy day yourself one day.

Anyways, walking through the rain, on a muddy trail, the results seem obvious but hindsight is 20/20. My shoes, feet, and the bottom of my jeans got wet. My immune system was already weak. So I caught a bad cold. But it was worth it. I hope to carry the memory of that small corner of the world for as long as I live.

Fast forward three to four more days of sickness, unfortunately including my reservation at a ryokan where I couldn’t enjoy the baths because I was sick, and it’s not polite to get others sick even though I really wanted to go and was tempted to be the selfish American (but wasn’t, so go me, I guess, though maybe the heat would’ve killed all the germs and I couldn’t have spread them…no, I had to be content with the ceramic bathtub in my room).

Did I get over the cold? Sure. I also got a bad case of hemorrhoids. Since, well, my diet hadn’t been splendid, I’d spent too much time on toilets, and I did a bunch of sitting around watching shows, reading, or playing pachinko/arcade games. (Not writing, because this shit takes hard work and a clear mind, not sickness and pain.)

And then I took the flight back a few days later (today),  with the hemorrhoids thankfully abating to the point where there’s only mild discomfort and I only need to wear sanitary napkins to catch the minor bleeding.

Would I visit Japan again? Almost certainly. I’d probably also try to drink way more water on that initial flight, but I now have a whole host of new issues that I should probably talk to my doctor about. Anyways, if you’ve been wondering what I’ve been doing instead of writing, that’s pretty much it.

TL: DR; Stay hydrated, especially on flights. Don’t trust lukewarm airplane food. Don’t push yourself too hard because you’re scared of losing time, you’ll probably waste more time. Roll with the punches. Have an adventure, and good luck, have fun!

Edit: Also, the audiobook for Earth’s Gambit is now released! https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Earths-Gambit-Audiobook/B076VSX24Q

242 comments on “Japan Misadventures

1. Jaba says:

Just create your own Patreon acc, charge 10$ a mo, for a few chptrs, you’ll get like 500 subs/patreos and will be maing 5k usd/month with 2 cpths/mo ~8pg. so easy u get cash we get the goods.
    Easy. Very Easy, do it. U said you read all the posts. so do it.

Liked by 2 people

2. Killakn says:

Hey I don’t tend to comment on things like this as tbh I’m lazy but I adore your books I bought the seconds one as soon as it came out and read it one go then read the extra chapters. There’s a lot of complaining on here about the lack of extra chapters but ignore them I look forward to reading your next chapter whenever you right the next one your writing is amazing and has brought constant breakthroughs of the world time after time. Though tbh I’ve written abit myself and I think I’d struggle to write from where you’ve left yourself you may want to go back and change details previously this may give you a path to move forward .

But still thanks for the amazing books I’ve adored every page and will still check back every week waiting for a new chapter good luck and hope you get back into writing.

3. A fan says:

Love your books!!!😁 keep it up !🤘❤

“Disconnecting from the world in an attempt to buckle down and get the book finished…see you on the other side.”

Holy shit.

God is not dead, He shall soon return and bringith to us mortals thy words of enlightenment. He works now , in silence, creating the words, shaping them. So my family. Soon.

Autonomous drones are banned in the game but what if manually Alan controlled 50 different drones at the same time. thus not breaking the rules and having his own army, he may need to learn how to split his mind 50 different ways as well. imagine if he found some badass weapon or drone blueprints around the prison.

7. TyMoore says:

Man… sorry about your trip. Hopefully you’ll get another lined up soon. The airline and their half-cooked foods should accommodate your desire to fly elsewhere, for free, but realistically, they probably won’t.
    Thanks for The Gam3… looking forward to the next book, whenever Amazon releases it.

” And the attempt ended in…failure. I don’t know why, but this ending isn’t working out well. But if it was easy, then I suppose it wouldn’t be worth the effort. ”

Ending of the ark or ending of the gam3?

think it is time for another chapter to be release. I have been withing for god know how long for an new chapter. ( 7 months by royal road time ).

I summons you to write an new chapter.

11. Jaba says:

The mine vacation was shit, no planning, no tactics, just randomly running everywhere lol
    you at least got a great steak lol this is why people have vacation planners, the your trip becomes osom.. comma bro get up & get writing(I know you real all of them)

12. Kristopher Fulton says:

Hey. Love the stories. Bought both on audible. Can’t wait to get physical copies for my shelves. Any news on the next chapter. You left me practically begging for more.

13. kai says:

PLEASE RELESE THE OTHER BOOKS FOR KOBO!!!
    thanks. :^)

14. kai says:

PLEASE RELESE THE OTHER BOOKS FOR KOBO!!!
    thanks. :^)

15. Baranbee says:

Fuck me. I caught up after listening to the audiobooks. I wont be able to handle the wait times, so im dropping this for a year or more. Gl brother, love your work and hope you find inspiration

He just announced new book on Twitter

17. Lobo says:

So, is he going to continue publishing here, or somewhere else?

I just re-read the story for the Nth time. Love it and hate that is has no new chapters.

I think for Alan’s new implant ( level 1000 ) should be over powered as possible. An Sphere about the size of a fist. Fulled with nano machines. Called it beta core or something like that. It work like the Predecessor’s ability to summon swords but with tech. It lets Alan summon guns / anything tech wise a long as he has the blue prints for it and is not to big. The biggest thing that he can summon is an rifle or a Pair of wings on his back.

As a side note the nano machines could replace his cells within his body , slowly turning him immortal or a tech version of a Predecessor.

Praise be to Scifi Novel Jesuzus blessed be his writing. Lead us not into long hiatus but deliver unto us a chapter as the faithful wait with bated breath.

For real though dude, us readers are missing our doses of occasional novel goodness. Probably a fair few going through withdrawal symptoms as can be expected when the work itself is this damn good and unique.

Every scifi-litrpg reminds me of your novel and damnit, none of em live up to the expectations.

I don’t follow the twitter stuffs, heard something about book 3 being released at some point. Anyway, just leaving this here more in the hopes you’ll read it, maybe. Some dude on RRL commented on on of my shit-tier stories the other day asking if it’d ever come back. Which though it sounds dumb as hell was the motivation I needed to get back to it and start writing again.

Miss you and your work dude!

I bought both books on audible and they’re the best litrpg books I’ve read/listened so far. I can’t lie, I’m dying for more but I understand your situation and I will be patiently waiting.

Much love from an anonymous fan.

the next book release date TBD. The sooner you start to write again, the sooner the release date will be.